Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Book Covers Design


Book Covers Design


Why would we read a book? Haven’t we been told, or have told our students not to judge a book by its cover? In my opinion, what really matters is the inside; the story it has to tell. However, in the publishing industry, book covers are as important as the inside since they are the lure to potential buyers. In “Designing books is no laughing matter. OK, it is", book covers designer Chip Kidd says that book covers are the first impression or what you are going to get inside the book.  “A book designer gives form to content” (Kidd, 2012), therefore, a designer creates covers that embody the book. 
Kidd (2012)  highlights that book designers responsibility is three fold to the author, the reader and the publisher. More especially to the author, since he expects his book to be sold. Their work is to make the potential buyers want to get a book and dive afterwards into the content.
A good book cover can make the difference for a book and his author because it involves visual attraction and other senses too, something you cannot achieve with technology: “Much is to be gained by eBooks: ease, convenience, portability. But something is definitely lost: tradition, a sensual experience, the comfort of thingy-ness — a little bit of humanity” (Kidd, 2012).
I am not particularly attracted to poetry, but I would take this book from the shelf just because I find the visually disturbing. I would like to know what it is about and why the women seem to be from the beginning of last century.


I would choose this other book just because of the cover. It does not need much to say. It just intrigues me by the cover whatever could be inside.



This other book seems very intriguing to me since it is about poet Emily Dickinson. I guess I my visual skills move around whatever is intriguing or make me morbidly curious.



If that is so then book covers should be very much more than a presentation and play with all the senses and the mind of potential readers. It should be like the summary in the back of a book, those words that play with your interests and make you want to open the book an devour it all.
I have to say that I am a Harry Potter fan, as my kids, and I bought and read too many times the seven  books. However, I got them from Scholastic, specifically because I love the covers! Those books are the first things to see in my home’s bookcase, with hard covers and glistening letters I enjoy every time I pass by them.
A book cover then, should be a part of the story; it should accompany it. It is the first glimpse to something new, intriguing, and/or fun that we are about to read and should be as enjoyable as the inside. It’s our first impression of the book, and people have always said that first impressions matter.



Bibliography

Kidd, C. (2012). Designing books is no laughing matter. OK, it is. [Video]. Retrieved from TED Ideas Worth Spreading: http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/chip_kidd_designing_books_is_no_laughing_matter_ok_it_is.html






No comments: